The assignment is focused on reading, understanding, role playing, and writing a news report.
Students can improve all basic skills while working with the assignment.
1. Students check the author`s website and learn a few facts about her writing career (ICT-skills)
2. Students read the novel at different pace and do some exercises individually/in pairs/in groups
3. Role play
4. Finally, students can write a news report for The Sun
Dramatisation of some scenes from the book or those "outside the main story", e.g. in court.
Writing a screenplay/making a movie
Discussion: Family and friends; single - parent families; ex-husband/ex-girl-friend; human feelings (jealousy, pride, happiness, sadness, fear, anger, embarrassment); crime and punishment; mental health.
Reading different articles from the popular press, eg. The Sun
If time permits, it is possible to discuss the book in small groups (up to 5 people in a group)
The text understanding and ability to see a wider picture (out of the box) can be assessed by a mark. In this case a teacher has a chance to get some response even from those who are usually very shy.
Students can be assigned a mark for written communication as well (a news report ) The criteria for the assessment:
- good command of English (rich vocabulary, different types of sentences, correct grammar and spelling, connectors)
- lay-out/structure (according to the genre)
- content (relevant stuff, cohesion and flow)
Blackout by Emily Barr (price: 35 NOK)
pen, pencil, exercise book/computer, the internet